Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Are Aliens the New Vampire?

So last Friday I went with my friend to see Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 in theaters and couldn't help but take note of the movie trailers we saw. I know this isn't completely related to books, but thought I'd bring up the topic here on the blog to see if the same trend is happening in books like I think it is. We watched trailers for movies such as "The Green Lantern" and "Cowboys and Aliens" and then, yesterday, while at home, I watched Disney's animated movie "Bolt" and caught their reference to Aliens being the new thing.

Well, folks, here it is. "I Am Number Four," one of the first books to sell movie rights before the book was even published, is about, you guessed it, aliens though, thankfully, these aren't the purple-skinned-with-four-eyes aliens. Still, it's about aliens and it's making it huge right now with both the book and film. Which got me thinking.

As much as we like to deny it, we, as readers and movie goers, fall into trends. Yes, with "Twilight," it was vampires and vampires grew huge because of it. The CW television network came out with the TV series based off the book series "The Vampire Diaries," and though the TV series doesn't follow the plot of the books, they have huge ratings and are in the second season. Trend. Then it was vampires, but what's next?

If things are going the way they appear to be going, aliens are the next best thing. Though the show wasn't as popular as originally intended, ABC's show focusing on aliens "V" is set to return soon. Add that along with the books and movies and it appears as though something's brewing in the works. Are aliens the next best thing? Let me know in the comments what you're thinking.

No comments: