Friday, January 21, 2011

THE SPACE BETWEEN TREES Review



Not your everyday coming-of-age novel.

This story was supposed to be about Evie how she hasn't made a friend in years, how she tends to stretch the truth (especially about her so-called relationship with college drop-out Jonah Luks), and how she finally comes into her own once she learns to just be herself but it isn't. Because when her classmate Elizabeth "Zabet" McCabe's murdered body is found in the woods, everything changes and Evie's life is never the same again.

From Goodreads.com

I apologize for this review not being complete but I never finished the book and can only only give you my review of what I've read, but I'll get to my reasons as to why I stopped reading in a bit.

To begin, I liked Evie. She's awkward and a bit off the rails which is what makes her enjoyable to me. In all honesty, I love a character who it a bit crazy and that's what I caught from Evie. No, she's not insane, but she's not the brightest nor the most steady character I've ever met and I enjoyed that.

Another thing I enjoyed was the cover. The picture doesn't do it justice. The actual cover is just the black outline on the picture which is literally carved out from the cover, revealing the purple sheet beneath it. Very pretty.

But, to be honest, that was where my enjoyment stopped. The plot, teen girl dies in the woods and no one knows her killer, didn't interest me. I only made it halfway because I wanted to know who the killer was but I found myself losing interest. The plot doesn't move quickly and when it does, it moves in psychological passageways rather than through action. Though this may be something other people enjoy, it wasn't something I had fun reading.

And then there's the character of Zabet's dad. Yes, he caused me to grieve the loss of his daughter with him, but I couldn't connect with him. He seemed an odd single father with misguided intentions after his daughter died of wanting to resurrect her in her friends. Just weird. I simply couldn't get past the weird with this book.

Overall, I may pick The Space Between Trees back up in the future in order to solve the mystery, but that's about it. The character held little interest to me and I didn't feel a strong enough connection to Zabet before she died in order to mourn her. I can't give this book a fair rating because I didn't finish.

No comments: