Thursday, June 17, 2010

Miley Cyrus and Lisa McMann?



Years ago, I read the novel Wake by Lisa McMann. I then read Fade and Gone as they released, enjoying each novel. This series by Lisa McMann follows a 17 year old girl, Janie, through her final years of high school while she is forced to deal with a certain oddity that follows her around. Every time someone close to Janie falls asleep, she is sucked in to their dreams, or nightmares, depending on the case.

Through the novels, Janie forms a relationship with Cabel, another student at her school who learns of her ability, and the police, with whom she goes undercover to solve town problems, using her ability to get inside other people's heads. Though her ability comes with a cost. Every time she pulls herself out of a dream, her vision is skewed and her muscles are cramped, and it gets worse with every dream.

I loved the novels, loved the intensity in which Lisa McMann wrote each scene and the pressing time bomb of Janie's condition that showed an ultimate ending. But this is not a review. If you noticed, this is tagged news, and I also mentioned Miley Cyrus in the title. Why, you may ask?

Because it has come down to this. Lisa McMann has sold the rights for a movie to be made of Wake, and those rights go to Paramount. Yesterday, The Hollywood Reporter posted that Miley Cyrus may be playing the role as Janie, the main role of the series.

Now, to the honesty. When reading this, a huge WHAT?! came to my mind. I cannot stand Miley Cyrus. The only reason I didn't go see The Last Song was because she played a main part in the movie. Her accent, her laugh, her singing, everything drives me crazy. I cannot see her playing the darker role of Janie with her bubbly, southern attitude, but, regardless, I will go to see the film.

But now for you. I want to hear what you think about this? Do you want Miley Cyrus to play Janie in Lisa McMann's Wake series? Yes or no? Let me know in the comments section.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't stand Miley Cyrus either!!!! This is a terrible idea!!! I haven't gotten the chance to read Wake yet, but just by the summary and what people have said about it, I KNOW Miley could not pull the part of Janie off. Actually, to be honest, I don't think she can pull off any role.

I REALLY hope the casting directors change their mind.