Friday, June 25, 2010

SISTERS RED Review



Scarlett March lives to hunt the Fenris-- the werewolves that took her eye when she was defending her sister Rosie from a brutal attack. Armed with a razor-sharp hatchet and blood-red cloak, Scarlett is an expert at luring and slaying the wolves. She's determined to protect other young girls from a grisly death, and her raging heart will not rest until every single wolf is dead.

Rosie March once felt her bond with her sister was unbreakable. Owing Scarlett her life, Rosie hunts fiercely alongside her. Now Rosie dreams of a life beyond the wolves and finds herself drawn to Silas, a young woodsman who is deadly with an ax-- but loving him means betraying her sister and has the potential to destroy all they've worked for.

Twenty-five-year-old Jackson Pearce delivers a dark, taut fairy tale with heart-pounding action, fierce sisterly love, and a romance that will leave readers breathless.

From goodreads.com

The book opens seven years after an attack by a Fenris that left Rosie and Scarlett's grandmother dead, and Scarlett with the need to fight back and avenge her grandmother's death. The sisters live away from town and hunt the Fenris by night, believing it is their duty to protect other innocent girls from being murdered.

But when Silas, a family friend who also hunts Fenris, returns from San Francisco after a year visiting his uncle, a string of murders in Atlanta and an increase in the number of Fenris in the area drive the sisters and Silas to move to the city and hunt down the creatures who are searching for the Potential, the person who, if bitten, will turn in to a Fenris.

Once the action in the book starts, it doesn't stop, and I found myself unable to stop reading this book. For the record, I read it in two days. This isn't unusual for me, but only further proves my interest in the book. It was great to see female characters who held their own and weren't afraid to get in the thick of a fight. In fact, they were the ones causing the fights. And, if I may say so, hunting wolves with an ax makes you a pretty amazing girl in my book. Kudos to Pearce for not being afraid to harm her characters.

And the characters are another thing I enjoyed. Scarlett and Rosie were very close as sisters, and it was great for me to see this as I have a younger sister who is, like Rosie to Scarlett, very close in age to me. I instantly felt a connection with the sisters while reading the book. The characters stood out from the pages, seeming to be real. And Silas? Let's just say I would love to meet him in the woods any day.

But that's besides the point. Any author can write a male character that the reader swoons over. It was Pearce's approach in Sisters Red that caught me, hook, line, and sinker. The book is written in alternating viewpoints, switching back and forth from Rosie and Scarlett in order to tell the story. While Scarlett regarded Silas as a friend, Rosie was practically drooling over him, though all the while pushing those emotions away to save herself from hurting her sister who lives for the hunt.

I mentioned just above that Sisters Red is written in two viewpoints. I have read several novels that switch narrators, many of which do it in a choppy, forced manner, but this book was different. The time moved easily, and none of the scenes seemed to be tossed in just so that the viewpoints continued to alter between the two girls. I would love to know if it was hard for Pearce to capture such ease when writing.

Like I said, the book reads easily, and there is never a dull moment. Usually, I have something I disliked about the books I read, but I can't think of anything I didn't enjoy in Sisters Red. The ending tied things together very well. Sisters Red has a companion novel which will be released in 2011 entitled Sweetly which takes place in the same world as Sisters Red does, but does not involve the same characters. I look forward to reading this book, as Pearce did a wonderful job at crafting realistic characters in a slightly fantasy setting. She is definitely an author to watch!

Rating: A

For more updates on Jackson Pearce, you can follow her on youtube or on twitter. You can also view the book trailer for Sisters Red below.

No comments: